Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Oh Canada!

It's eight thirty in the morning and Angus is already napping.  He'd only been awake for forty-five minutes before getting growly, so I put him back to bed.  I greeted the day this morning full of enthusiasm and drive, intending to clean up and unpack, and generally just be productive.  I was going to take advantage of Angus napping to get stuff done for once - as soon as I finished my book. 
I just finished my book. 
Now I'm on the internet, ignoring the debris of dirty dishes and clothes and half unpacked boxes strewn about. 

The primary school is about two blocks away from here, and every morning at this time I can hear the Canadian anthem playing over the loudspeaker.  At first I thought it was just an assembly, because I remember from school always having to sing the anthem at the beginning of assemblies.  But then I realized that I hear it every morning!  How patriotic!  I love starting the day being reminded to be a proud Canadian.
My sister-in-laws boyfriend mentioned that this place is the most "Canadian" place he's been, and it's true.
In the 'other' house (the one with the ghosts - have fun with those ghosts Natasha and Bryce!  Er, squirrels, riiiiight) I'd look out the window and either be looking at a very old church, gravestones, or a very large tank beside a war monument, proudly bearing the names of fallen soldiers.  Did I mention the Canadian flags fluttering majestically in the Atlantic wind?
It fills me with pride.

Last night we took Angus to get his four-month shots.  He's already over five months old, but we missed the shots in all the excitement of moving.
They were scheduled for seven 'o clock at night.  What a ridiculous time of day to do immunizations!  I believe kids should be in bed by that time!  Mine usually is.  Or at least napping.  Or resisting sleep and grinning at me in the dark.

As soon as we got to the hospital I could feel my irritation begin to bubble.  It wasn't just Angus getting his shots - I guess they have certain days they do immunizations, so the hallway was crowded with parents and their germy, snotty, bratty children.  It was blistering hot in there, and Angus and I were both sweating and cranky.
The timing was terrible - I had just gotten Angus to sleep and then I had to wake him up to get him to the hospital on time.  He was overtired and probably hungry, and so he was the only baby fussing and squawking BEFORE he had his shots.
I'm not a fan of other's people's children, unless they're someone I know.  I especially don't like being trapped in a hot, germy hallway, that smells like baby shit and cigarette smoke, surrounded by other foreign children probably rampant with GERMS, listening to each child scream as they went in and got jabbed.

Angus, of course, screamed.  Oh, he didn't just scream, he SCREEEEEAMED.  He was PISSED OFF.  It broke my heart, of course.  After that you're supposed to wait around for fifteen minutes, but after five, I grabbed Aaron's arm and we fled.

And the worst part is, we have to go back, because I couldn't remember if he's had his Hepatitis immunizations in B.C., and do you think I know where his records are?  I have a vague recollection of the nurse handing me a piece of paper after his last set of shots, and me vacantly stuffing it into my handbag, where it probably got lost and disappeared forever along with all the crumpled up reciepts, half-used chapsticks, and dirty, stray sticks of gum.

Anyway.  Enough procrastinating.

No comments: