Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Dear Angus,
this evening you starred in your own remake of The Exorcist. I seriously feared for my life. I had to lock you in my bedroom because I thought you were going to eat me.

I'm sure in years from now, we will look back on this and laugh at all the times your dad and I had to shout at each other over the howl of the hairdryer, because that's the only thing that would shut you up. In fact, I'm pretty sure I'm going to develop a phobia of hairdryers after this is all over.

I'm sure you are going to grow into a delightful little baby, and a feisty, lively, lovable child, and it will be easy to forget this whole nightmare.
It's the only thing keeping me going, thinking of the wonderful person you are going to grow up to be. Your personality is too big for your little body. You're sensitive, and when you get overstimulated you find it really hard to switch off, so your dad and I spend all of our waking hours (and some asleep hours) trying to pacify you.

I think when you grow a little bigger, you will be able to play and interact with us more, so I think you'll be a lot happier. You just have to be patient, little one! I know the world is new and exciting and you just can't handle it all sometimes. I have a confession - I still can't handle it sometimes. Your father and I are both sensitive people too, so we can relate. You're just going to have to find a way to deal with it.
You've recently discovered your fists - maybe you could try and remember those fists when you're feeling stressed. Just shove them in your mouth and see how much better you feel. That's why adult's smoke. But DON'T YOU DARE SMOKE!

I think you're going to be a lot like your dad. Sociable, hyperactive, lively, but also gentle and a little sensitive. (He's going to kill me for saying that.) Well those are all the things that make me love your dad, so I'll be overjoyed if that's how you turn out. (Of course, I'll love you just the same if you're placid and calm like your mother. I'll even love you if you're mute, or gay.)

Tonight you're going to have no choice but to drink formula because tonight you put me in such a state that I needed to have a beer. And you're now asleep but I'm still all jangly and still kind of hyperventilating so I intend to drink a second beer. I wouldn't want you to get second-hand drunk, so you must understand that it's in your best interest to have a bottle.
However, this might backfire, as you are stubborn and refuse anything in your mouth that is not my nipple. In fact, you even have a preference as to which nipple. I would say you are a typical Taurus - you prefer the finer things in life.

When you fell asleep after your episode, you fell asleep looking so sad, it made my heart break. I really feel like I'm failing you somehow. I feel like as your mother, I should know exactly how to make everything okay for you, and I don't. But I keep hope that as we continue to get to know each other, I will be the one to kiss your owies all better.

I love you Angus. And regardless of what we go through every day, I still look forward to waking up with you.

Love mom

1 comment:

Unknown said...

He is EXACTLY like his dad was and I can guarantee! that he will turn into the coolest little toddler that ever walked, by the time Aaron was 2 he could talk and tell you ever kind of car on the road we all thought he was some kind of car savante! Sounds like Wee Angus will be the same...he has so much to say and no way to express it yet, so hang in there it won't be long now!(you might need those earplugs yet, once he starts talking there will be no stopping it)^_-