Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Thoughts on the music of today.

 Man there is a lot of shitty music out there.  I made the mistake of turning on the music channel this morning to see a bunch of hysterical girls throwing themselves at these puppets on stage with what looked like pretend guitars. Apparently they're the Jonas Brothers? Apparently they're a big thing? I shouldn't say anything, because at age 13 I was hysterical over the Backstreet Boys, with posters of Nick Carter on my ceiling. I even camped out at the mall to get tickets to their concert.

SHHHHHHH!

What really scares me though, is this particular song. I had to find the lyrics to confirm just how ridiculous it sounds. What are they teaching young women of today? To act slutty and get wasted and taken advantage of, is what it looks like to me. And why the hell would you WANT a guy that looks like Mick Jagger? Is it cool to brush your teeth with a bottle of Jack?She can't even spell TICK TOCK right.

I don't get it. Am I getting old?

Ke$ha aka Kesha with Tik Tok

Wake up in the morning feeling like P Diddy
(Hey, what up girl?)
Put my glasses on, I’m out the door - I’m gonna hit this city (Let’s go)
Before I leave, brush my teeth with a bottle of Jack
Cause when I leave for the night, I ain’t coming back
I’m talking - pedicure on our toes, toes
Trying on all our clothes, clothes
Boys blowing up our phones, phones
Drop-toping, playing our favorite cds
Pulling up to the parties
Trying to get a little bit tipsy

[CHORUS]
Don’t stop, make it pop
DJ, blow my speakers up
Tonight, I’mma fight
‘Til we see the sunlight
Tick tock, on the clock
But the party don’t stop no
Woah-oh oh oh
Woah-oh oh oh

[Chorus]
Ain’t got a care in world, but got plenty of beer
Ain’t got no money in my pocket, but I’m already here
Now, the dudes are lining up cause they hear we got swagger
But we kick ‘em to the curb unless they look like Mick Jagger
I’m talking about - everybody getting crunk, crunk
Boys trying to touch my junk, junk
Gonna smack him if he getting too drunk, drunk
Now, now - we goin’ til they kick us out, out
Or the police shut us down, down
Police shut us down, down
Po-po shut us -
Don’t stop, make it pop
DJ, blow my speakers up
Tonight, I’mma fight
‘Til we see the sunlight
Tick tock, on the clock
But the party don’t stop no
Woah-oh oh oh

 
 And now, as an antidote, here is the song that's stuck in my head. They're local Nova Scotia boys, in fact Aaron used to hang out with the drummer when he was a kid.  I wish I could put the video right in my blog, but I have no idea how I would do that, so here's the link. You've probably heard it before, but I'm about a year behind everyone else.


3 comments:

nata_t said...

The link you can get beside the video on youtube labled "embed" should post the actual video. For future reference!

Spokeit said...

What gets me about these songs these days is that they're so catchy. I sang this song at first because it was fun and then I actually listened to the lyrics and was shocked!

That's how they rope them in I guess, catchy tunes that no one realizes are demeaning. Great blog by the way- just found it!

Barkles said...

Thanks! You're right -- the song is VERY catchy. I even find that I don't even hate it that much anymore.