Friday, March 5, 2010

I'm a thinker, not a doer.

I need some accountability today.

I intended to get a big chunk of work done last night while Aaron was at fire practice and Angus was in bed. I got distracted by TV. LA Ink was on! I couldn't miss that! And then American Idol! And then a new episode of LA Ink, followed by Hoarders. Yeah. Work? Didn't happen.  I even attempted to bring my laptop in front of the TV and work during commercial breaks, but when the commercials came on I found myself completely forgetting to work, even though my laptop was on my lap and my head phones were on. Durrrhhhh.
Do you have any idea how much extra time I would have in my day if I didn't watch TV? Let's be honest here -- the REAL reason we wear two-day-old socks (I just bought a pack of 20 pairs of socks so I wouldn't have to do laundry), the dishes sit in swamp water for three days and my unfinished work nags in the back of my mind constantly, is because of the hours spent zoning in front of the TV. And it's not like I watch quality programming either. No. Well, sometimes we watch the History channel and actually learn something. But my favorites, I will admit, are the reality shows. I'M the reason these awful shows are on TV.
I curse the TV for being such a time suck. I'm trying to imagine what Aaron and I would do if you took TV away from us in the evenings. Talk? Pay attention to our child? Clean up the house? Exercise? Go for walks? The mind boggles. However, I like TV because I get to participate in things without actually DOING them. Take Survivorman. Would I ever purposely get myself lost, alone, for a week in the Amazon/Labrador/Alaska/Papua New Guinea, would I ever eat scorpions/seal blubber/seaweed, would I ever drink my own pee, would I ever dog-sled with my fly open? Probably not. But I like to think my life is enriched from having watched someone else do it.

2 comments:

noahandme said...

what do you think about the new shop manager on LA Ink? She makes me want to jump through the tv and smack her.

Gettysburg Mom said...

My husband totally busted me watching the Housewives of Orange County last night. It is so difficult to defend such a television choice. I really did use, "Look! They're all sparkly!" as my key argument.